It’s summer and pineapples are in season. Here are some cool facts about pineapples:
- They are recyclable! Well kind of...what I really mean is that pineapples can regenerate. If you cut off the top of a pineapple, you can plant the pineapple leaves to grow a new plant.
- Pineapples contain Bromelain, a natural anti-inflammatory we use in dermatology to prevent bruising after procedures.
- Pineapples take about 18-20 months to become ready to harvest. I guess all good things are worth the wait.
- Pineapples are bromeliads (a plant native to tropical and subtropical America, typically having short stems with rosettes of stiff, usually spiny, leaves). In fact, they are the only edible bromeliad.
- Pineapples ripen faster upside down.